National Association of the Deaf

Filing Closed Captioning Complaints

When you see a television program that has no captions, missing captions, delayed captions, captions that are garbled, displayed too fast, or unreadable, you can file a complaint.

Closed captioning complaints must be sent to your local television station, cable television provider, or satellite television service. You should include in your complaint:

  • your name, address, and contact information;
  • the name of the program you tried to watch;
  • the date and time you tried to watch the program;
  • the network/channel you were watching; and
  • a description of the closed captioning problem.

Tell the distributor (your local station, cable or satellite television provider) that it is violating the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) closed captioning rules. Keep a copy of your letters, e-mails, notes of phone calls and other communication with the distributor.

If the distributor cannot solve the problem, or you are not satisfied with the response you receive (or if you receive no response), you can send your complaint to:

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554


For more information, please review the FCC closed captioning guide.

Subscribe to feed

RSS icon

Subscribe to E-News

RSS icon

Privacy Policy           

National Association of the Deaf | 8630 Fenton Street, Suite 820, Silver Spring, MD 20910-3819